Monday 10 October 2011

The end of beach life... for a few days at least!

As the part of my trip that I share with my friend is drawing to a close there is one place left to visit and that is Koh Phi Phi. Made famous by the film the beach, I wished in some way there was half a chance I'd bump into Leo, but unfortunately apart from the copies of The beach on sale he was nowhere to be seen.

The boat ride getting to Phi Phi was by the scariest of my life.

The weather was so rough that they were accelerating as fast as they could but then went they stopped the whole boat crashed down against the waves swinging the whole boat left to right. Every time the boat thudded down you could see by the look on peoples faces that everyone's stomachs did the same flip.

I don't think I've been so happy to get there in one piece!

Koh Phi Phi unfortunately didn't life up to the hype for me, and doesn't have a patch on Koh Tao.

Expensive and with nowhere just to hang out, unless it sunny to sunbathe and you want to drink copious amounts then the draw of Koh Phi Phi will be short lived by a tour taking you to where the beach was filmed at Long beach. (Which because of bad weather I didn't even get to see!)

Perhaps we were just unlucky with the weather so it pretty much sucked but even so I think I could only spend a few days there. The place is gorgeous of course with the signature white cliffs and the lovely beaches- packed with Korean tourists on there boat trips all taking the exactly the same photographs along with a few westerners who believe for 10 minutes they're in a photo shoot rolling around on the beach tossing their hair around and getting there boyfriends to take lots of pictures.

I wanted so much to like this place but after only a couple of days we left to go back to Krabi... Well that was the plan anyway!

The weather got increasingly worse on the sea and by the time we were wanting to leave every boat leaving Phi Phi had been cancelled, all bar one to Phuket, which is in the opposite direction to Krabi.

Faced with the decision to stay on Phi Phi or go to Phuket, we decided it was best to get off the island for fear of being stuck for who knows how long. With both of us with flights to catch we didn't fancy our chances, so thought it best to get the boat to anywhere on the mainland we could.

Its never a good sign when you get on a boat and they hand you a sick bag and an anti-nausea tablet, but we also got a doughnut and a cup of coke so it wasn't that bad! With the prospects of another awful boat journey I decided to sleep as much as I could and managed to be asleep throughout the whole journey and woke just as we were arriving into Phuket.

From the habour we went straight to the bus station and within minutes there was a bus leaving to Krabi so in no time at all we were heading to Krabi and although a lot later than planned finally arrived early evening.

We found a perfect place to stay near Krabi habour run by the loveliest women and stayed there the next two nights before it was time for us to part ways, my friend to Bangkok and me to Kuala Lumpur.

Travelling with my friend had been great but it was nice to be on the road again and on to the next country. So with the familiar feeling of not knowing what to expect we left each other at the airport and I continued by travels once more alone.

For the time being it was time to say goodbye to Thailand again, the land of yellow and green curries, Changovers and tuk tuks but there was much more to be seen and I would return at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment