Thursday 29 September 2011

Railey good times!

Once again being left somewhere with the faith that someone at some point is going to come collect you, its just the way it works.
So we waited for around two hours in this little cafe taking some noodles for breakfast and watched the 'sing-a-long' karaoke channel (only in Thailand!) until our minibus came to take us to Krabi town.

The bus didn't take all that long and took us to Krabi town bus station. From there we bought a further ticket to Railey beach, and within 45 minutes another man came with his pick-up truck to take us to the harbour. However it had failed to be mentioned that we would encounter a charming women while we waited for the boat.
A women only to be described with eyes like the devil; I took an instant dislike to her.
We were told to wait in her travel agency until we could board. She ordered and bossed people around trying to get them to pay for hotels and boat tickets, day trips and excursions. If anything she was very good at her job, so in that way I have a little admiration for her, even though its matched by a greater loathing.
She seemed to be offering something almost reasonable to me and my friend so we accepted it cautiously, although not booking accommodation for our future plans which she took pleasure in scouring at us for. "I worry about you.." (In an almost evil tone) "Don't we'll be fine!" "OK BOSS!!! Hahaaa"... What a strange women!
As ever I knew to take what people say with a pinch of salt, as it can often be wrong, and because of my scepticism I sensed she didn't like me much either. I had heard rumours that accommodation in Railey was expensive, so when she offered some almost decent price we accepted (of course only to discover later that the place I had wanted to go was available and much cheaper!)

Finally we were on our way, away from that frightful women, and on the longboat to Railey beach.

The Andeman coast, (the western coast of the peninsula of Thailand), is one of the most beautiful places I have seen on my travels. Roughed with limestone cliffs towering way over the turquoise sea that laps up against the shores and up on to the rocks. Greenery covering the sprawling mountains and cliff edges in greens so deep its as if your looking at a painting not a real scene. Sometimes I can barely believe what I see in front of me. So many times have I seen such scenes in holiday programmes presented by Craig Doyle or paintings hung in the National or Tate Galleries depicting such views, that when you see it with your own eyes you have to blink to make sure your not dreaming.

Within an hour or so we arrive at Railey East check into the hotel the horrible women backed us into a corner to book and relax after what felt like a marathon journey. A jumbo, a night boat, a mini van, a pickup truck and a longboat and were finally here!

We decide to go out and have a wander around our new location to see what is what and a little way into the jungle up a small path buried under one of the towering cliffs we find a tiny wooden structure that houses a coffee shop owned by some rastas. When people say fresh coffee, you really can't say you experienced it until you've tasted a coffee made by the owner of this hut who's grown the beans himself and you've watched him with love, care and attention prepare a coffee which takes ten minutes to make. With every step he takes his time and ensures everything is just right... And the result?... One of the best coffees I've ever tasted.

We then go and sit on the beach for the rest of the afternoon, only to met one of Railey's other residents- a huge brown eagle like bird the resides in the trees near the beach.
This giant bird swoop and dives across the bay but takes a particular liking for one man stood up on the beach and decides to dive at him for about twenty minutes- he in turn stands trying to defend himself against the crazy bird with some kind of tennis racket he has in his hand. Extremely funny for everyone else on the beach watching but I imagine not so much for the birds target!

Later that day in search for dinner we find the hostel I was wanting to stay at originally (which I had been told was closed by that evil women!) open so we ate there.

Nextdoor to the hostel was the Rasta Bar which looked like a good place to hangout so we decided to pop in there for one and were told there was a live band playing that evening to celebrate the half moon so we figured we come back again later on when things had got going. The owner Nat also had a pet baby Otter that was adorable and followed along behind him wherever he went. Nothing surprises me anymore, not even how some has a baby otter as a pet!
There was another place not far from the Rasta bar that we'd wanted to check out called Last Bar so we figured we'd go there for a bit and come back to see the band.

Its the strangest feeling when you bump into friends in foreign countries even though you know their in the same country, so imagine my surprise when I bump into a girl I know in Last bar who I didn't even know was in Thailand! Railey beach, far away from civilisation, only accessible via boat and I bump into a friend from home! What a small world!

The four of us (me and my friend, and her and her friend) then all head back to see the band, then finish the night in last bar.

Not getting back till around 6am, the next day is of course spent hungover and we only hangout is local cafes for the day.

Tuesday, and today is a day for doing- yesterday was so lazy that I have booked to go rock climbing with the guys from the coffee shop and spent the morning with one of the guys climbing one of the limestone cliffs in the jungle. Very fun but also very exhausting; so much so that I get back to the room and fall asleep for two hours!

The rest of the day carries on on the same way, reading, cafes and general chilling out.

Before long its Wednesday and its time to leave- back to Krabi and on to the next place- Koh Lanta.

Railey is a stunning place, and although really quite small is full of friendly people and a beautiful beach and well worth the side track!

No comments:

Post a Comment