Friday 11 November 2011

The start of my adventures 'Down Under'!

A sad goodbye and two flights later I arrived on Saturday October 15th in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

I changed flights in Darwin, in the north west of Australia and while waiting for my connection I saw a newspaper with the headline "Armed boy, 13, caught towing a donkey"... and I though 'What the hell kind of country is this!'

Australia was a huge dose of the reality that I'd been missing out on for the past few months.

Things were almost 'normal' again. Ok, many of these 'normal' things were still so different to life back in England, but I felt like I'd just returned back to civilistation after being in some alternate reality where stress didn't (well almost didn't!) exist. And this reality hit hard when I realised how goddam expensive Oz is! If i'd arrived from England it would have been not so bad, but after Bali where I paid 20p for a bottle of water, I almost fainted at the thought of paying two quid!

No wonder the wages are so good, you need good wages to keep you off the streets. I was gonna have to get me a job, and fast!

In the hostel I made friend with an English boy from my dorm called Raj, and soon enough we spent everyday together for the next week and a half we were in Brisbane. When I met him I knew there was something strangley familiar about him but I couldn't put my finger on it and then it clicked... he unmistakeably we identical in everything but sex to my friend Emily! We definetely clicked and it was gresat to have another good friend :)

Brisbane is a nice city and I spent my days wandering around the galleries and museums, as well as looking for jobs of course.

Me and Raj had also made friends with a group of French people: Sebastien, Kevin, Euan and Mayol and were helping Sebastien and Kevin with their English everyday. This friendship also worked the other way and helped me little with my french!

One of the most entertaining things so far about Australia though has been defintely been the language! Never in my life before have I heard the phases "Fuck me dead!" or "Fuck me Tracy!"... but more on this later.

Another thing I've noticed about Australia is that EVERYTHING tastes different. Whatever I try to make, It doesn't matter if it comes from a tin or I make it from scatch, it just doesn't taste right!..somethig else I have to get used to!

I was struggling to find a job in Brisbane having a lack of experience behind a bar, so I opened up to the idea of working anywhere that I could find work. Within a week and a half I left the city and headed far out into the outback of Queensland to the mining town of Mount Isa and what a strange place this turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment