Saturday 1 September 2012

The Lavender Ladies

Going the hard physical nature of caring for horses to the relaxed life of the lavender ladies was a refreshing change for a couple of weeks.

The lavender ladies are a mother and daughter who own a lavender farm in a place called Nar Nar Goon south east of Melbourne and made their own lavender products which they sell nationwide.

By the time I went there to help them out, the lavender was no longer in season so I spent a large portion of my time helping the daughter prepare the products for sale although a few days a week I spent down at the farm with the mother (a 78 year old women with the strength of a 25 year old man!) cutting down trees and preparing bonfires, however we also chased the 25+ Jersey cows, which is had in one of her paddocks, when they mischievously got out from time to time!

Sally, the daughter, was a nice enough person although she bordered on the side of boring even though she did rock and roll dancing for her hobby. She was meticulous on everything, especially on time and I never felt that I could fully relax around her for this reason. She was also one of those people that always felt that they had top fill a silence to make it comfortable, which in turn makes it feel uncomfortable. Some times its just best to shut the hell up.

Her mother, Jane, was also very similar but I enjoyed my time with her a lot more. It was also great to get outside and do some more physical work out in the sunshine, plus she lived in a five star b & b at the farm and made some amazing food for a man who would stay during the week which was a bonus.

We chatted about books,TV and experiences and while I was there I finally read Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird, a book that I absolutely loved and couldn't believe it took me that long to read!

It was a peaceful couple of weeks but after the exhausting month I'd spent at the stables I tghink it was just what I needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment