Sunday 6 May 2012

Homely Hobart



Michael dropped me off in a town called Margate not too far from Hobart around 7:30 in the morning and I got back to Hobart around 9 and headed straight for city central backpackers where I'd stayed before. I liked the hostel so had no quarms about going back there. The women at reception recognised me straight away and found me in a bed in the same room as before. Just like returning home!

I spent the rest of the day doing some boring stuff like washing, bought some food and hung out at the hostel. I also started chatting to a lovely german guy called Lennard from my dorm and made loose plans to go up Mount Wellington, which over looks the city, the next day.

Later the day while in the dinning area I noticed someone I recognised. It was Phil one of people I'd hung out with last time I was in Hobart! Turns out his wwoof experience hadn't gone well and he'd come back to the city. He told me that there was supposely a few bands and stuff happening at a place called the kelly steps that night and I agreed to head there with him, after we shared his food after what i'd made had turned out to be an absolute dinner disater!


The Kelly Steps are buried down an alleyway, so if you didn't know they were there then you'd just walk right on by. As Tasmanians don't like to be 'normal' this obviously was the perfect place to have a few bands playing and to set up a make shift bar! We had a beer and hung out on the steps listening to the music for a little while, but due to our late arrival and the immediate end at 11pm we weren't there long. After all this was Tasmania and it certainly isn't reknownd for its all-night party scene.

On the Saturday I spent the day with Lennard, the guy from my dorm visiting Mount Wellington. We wanted to get there but didn't know how and ended up going on a tour with just the two of us around Hobart a little then headed to Mt Wellington that over looks the city of Hobart.


The views were really nice, but the best thing about the day was certainly meeting Lennard.

He was such a well mannered lovely person. We spent the rest of the day together hanging out at the hostel talking about anything and everything. How a crazy guy that kind of lived at the hostel looked like Gerrad Butler in the film 300, (He certainly wasn't any Gerrad Butler, but after googling a picture i agreed there were some similarities!) the different names the British and Germans call the seas around Europe (Its the Baltic sea, not the east Sea :p),  the weird names Germans have for things like slugs or should I say naked snails :) and why dinner is called dinner, what lunch is and what exactly is teatime, with a bit of bad pronunciation of German thrown in for good measure.

We certainly talked for hours. Its always pretty awesome when you meet someone like that! Especially when all you do is talk nonsense!

 We headed back to the room not so late. The next day I was heading off again, this time to WWOOF at a farm in an area called the Huon Valley South East from Hobart.

No comments:

Post a Comment