Friday 11 May 2012

"No buses on a Monday or a Wednesday!"

I would like to ask my former self why on earth I wanted to go to Devonport for a whole three and a half days, or why I didn't look into the lack of things to do once I got there.

I had already bought a ticket to the Melbourne Comedy Festival Roadshow, the best of the comedy festival that had been going on in Melbourne so I figured I'd stay a few days and check of some of the north west of Tassie. What I didn't realise is that there wasn't anything to check out.

I even thought about catching a bus and exploring some other places but a quick trip to the tourist information centre put a stop to that when I learnt the bus only went on Mondays and Wednesday and as luck would have it I was there Thursday to Saturday!





So I made the best of a bad situation, took a walk around the scenic coastal line and even walked right across the whole town just to take a picture of the Lovett Street sign (where I live back home.) Boy, what a wild three days! I did try and get some more information on the second day about going somewhere different but as before the women said .."The bus only goes on Monda..." at which point I finished off "..days and Wednesdays!"


The hostel was also one of the worst hostels I think I've ever stayed at. Well to be honest it wasn't that bad but it was pretty cold and completely dead... I swear I wouldn't had been suprised if I'd seen tumble weed roll down the hallway! It didn't even have a bowl or a spoon to be seen, so i was completely out of my depth even looking for a grater to make the salad I'd bought the ingrediants for! When a women moved into my room on the second day I almost jumped on her, although she turned out to be pretty rude and sarcastic and said, "If its people you wanted you should have gone to the other hostel, there's loads of people there." Thanks, thanks a bunch. Not only am I in this god forsaken place I am now aware I've made another awful decision by paying to stay in this dump for the next few days!
Thank god the show itself was absolutely awesome! I would have liked to have gone with friends or even not gone to bed straight afterwards but hey you can't have everything!

So after what felt like an eternity in this nowhere town I was so glad to leave on the Sunday morning that I got the first bus outta that place and headed back to Launceston. 

I spent the next couple of days back with Yvonne as she was kind enough to let me stay with her while I waited for a cheap flight to Melbourne and then it was goodbye Tasmania. 

A month and a half later with some brilliant memories, my time was up in Tassie and it was time to head back to the mainland and on to Victoria. I needed to get my farm work done and so it was back to the farm life with a quick whistle stop in Melbourne to catch up with Patrick, a friend I'd met travelling in Europe. Good times were ahead and I couldn't wait to see what was in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment